adoption story: kyle + megan


I had the pleasure of serving Kyle and Megan as they sought to become a family of three in 2018. They signed on with me last January, and started their home study process right away, were home study ready by March, and their sweet son was born in August.
They were filled with faith and grace during the seven month journey to their beautiful son.... 
Megan has graciously her thoughts and advice for families who may be considering adoption.  Thank you for sharing, Megan!  I hope their story encourages you today.

***********************************************************************


Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you.
He will be with you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.

Deuteronomy 31:8
Let me first say, this will be worth it. If the Lord has called you to this journey, he will not ask you to walk it alone. He will be faithful even when you feel faithless. In fact, adoption and motherhood have influenced my faith more than any other thing. Without the Lord speaking to me each day through his word and perfectly timed scriptures, I would not have been able to complete this calling he placed in my heart many years ago.  I am praying that if you are reading this, maybe you will recognize yourself in my story and find the confidence to take the next step of faith in your own journey. 
Kyle and I are high school sweethearts that married young and took time to grow up together before starting our family. I don’t remember specifically when it first came to mind, but somewhere along the way I knew that I could and would adopt my baby one day. It was a calling that I felt I would one day get around to. 
Early on, I would casually mention to Kyle that adoption was something I wanted to pursue when the time came for us to start our family. Kyle was always supportive and on board with the idea. It’s funny now thinking back on how casual it was for me. I had no clue how hard adoption would be and how it would stretch me and grow me in the most difficult ways. When we were ready to start our family after about five  years of marriage, we tried to get pregnant on our own for two years. 
While that was hard, I wasn’t really surprised that we didn’t get pregnant. We had no reason to believe it wouldn’t work other than I just kind of knew our baby wasn’t going to be grown in my belly. Not wanting to waste anymore time, we researched adoption consultants and signed on with Gretchen in January 2018.
HWportrait1.JPG

We hurried to get home study approved by March and ready to present our profiles in April. We selected a handful of agencies to apply with and were matched fairly quickly by the end of April with an agency that had literally just received our packet. We were nervous because this situation had kind of fallen into our lap unexpectedly but we trusted God and prayed hard that he would shut any door that we weren’t meant to walk through. Things began to happen and send up red flags. That match ultimately fell through after several weeks. That was hard but also a relief because more than anything else, we wanted OUR baby, the one God specifically created for us and this clearly wasn’t the one. 
We went through what felt like a long summer of prayerfully being presented to situations that didn’t always make sense or match our preferences but that we felt led to say yes to. 
In the middle of July, we got THE call. 
Gretchen had emailed us a situation from an agency we were not on file with. We were currently being presented to another situation and were not able to respond right away. I quickly called the other agency and asked had a decision been made, it had and it wasn’t us. Gretchen and I hurried to get our homestudy, profile, and dear birth mom letter over to the other agency to be shown. Some profiles had already been presented but they said they would try to get ours in the mix before she made a decision. I assumed it wouldn’t work out and put it in the back of my mind. By the end of the week, we got a call saying we had been chosen and the birth mom wanted to set up a time for us to travel to meet her. We were blown away! We felt all of the emotions: elated, nervous, thankful, humbled, scared, and blessed. 
Even though this case did not fit all of our original preferences, we could feel God asking us to trust him and knew this was our baby. I’ve read a statement several times that has always comforted me greatly; God will not let you miss out on your baby. Period. No matter what you do or don’t do, He is faithful. 
I began praying Psalm 139 over our baby, making it personal by adding in the baby names we had chosen.
 We met Graham's birth parents late July and our baby boy surprised us a month later at the end of August, 6 weeks early!
We finalized our adoption 3 ½ months later in December 2018. 

Our baby boy has an amazing testimony that we will share with him one day. Seeing how God has protected him and loved him has affected me in a way I didn’t expect. If God loves our baby enough to spare his life and set him on a new path, He must also love me and will do what’s best for me in the same way.

“The adoption took time. The love arrived instantly.” 






ACS_0005.jpg
                
Life with Graham makes perfect sense. It’s like he’s been here all along. We ask ourselves daily how’d we get so lucky. In fact, I hardly remember that he is adopted unless someone asks me about it. 

Adoption was the hardest thing we’ve every walked through and we learned a lot about ourselves and about God in the process. Ultimately, we had to rest in the fact that He is in control and we are not nor do we have to be. He is good at being God and His plans are always better. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

adoption story - Stacy

adoption story - erin + clayton

adoption story: meredith and chase