adoption story - ben + meriah


You may remember Ben and Meriah's first adoption story shared here on my blog.  They are local to me, and are true friends now. So, I was overjoyed when they came to me for support on their second adoption journey.  Here's a bit of their story below, from Meriah's perspective.
********************************

I’m adopted. My sister is adopted. My daughter is adopted. My son is adopted.

Adoption is a word that is so entwined with God’s plan and purpose for a life that it’s so much more than a statement or a mere word on a page. Adoption is a journey. A journey that can be full of seemingly dead ends or unexplainable twists and turns, but it’s always a worthwhile journey…..cause at the end, the beautiful child looking back at you helps you realize that you were in God’s hands the whole time and He had a unique plan for you.
As I look back at our second adoption I can’t help but be grateful for CAC and Gretchen … they were the tools God put in place to bring our son into our family. It’s always amazing looking back and seeing the intricate steps that had to happen in order for God’s plan to be revealed.

Early 2018, we decided that we should start pursuing our second adoption. Our daughter would be two in August and we figured the second adoption would take quite a bit longer than the first, since our daughter was in our arms two weeks after our home study approval. So in April, we started renewing our home study and brought CAC and Gretchen back on board. May 1st, we were home study approved and ready to start presenting. We presented to a case or two, but on June 6th (my husband’s birthday!) we were matched with a mother who was due the end of June/early July with a baby boy. We couldn’t believe it! We had only a few weeks to prepare before we’d have to travel to Florida to meet our baby boy. We left for Florida about a week after his due date in anticipation of his arrival. Soon enough, we received word that our boy had been born and we could go meet him. The feeling of meeting your child for the first time cannot be explained, but it’s amazing, inspiring, and intimidating all at the same time. As I was sitting at the hospital holding him for the first time, a vision I had as a teen flooded back to my memory:
I can only recall two visions I’ve had in my life.
One was the vision of my future husband at the alter getting ready to marry me. All I could see was the back of his head. He had brown, wavy hair and was wearing a black suit.

The second vision came to me when I was around 16 or 17 years old, babysitting a little boy with blue eyes and blonde hair. I was with my mother at a furniture store toting around the little boy when one of the store employees, who thought he was my son, told me how much he looked like me. As she said that, a vision of a boy around the age of two or three came to me. I saw the back of his head and he had a darker complexion and short, black curly hair. I didn’t think much about it at that time, but filed it to the back of my brain.

I now know it was a vision of my future son … the one I was holding and meeting for the first time on this beautiful day in July when that memory came flooding back.

It’s so amazing to see what God has planned for us and how it comes to fruition. If the journey isn’t as seamless as you think or hope it should be, just remember that each step is important in revealing God’s plan … adoption is a journey that is worth each twist and turn on the road, and when you finally look at the child in your arms, you will know it was all worth it. Have faith in the adoption vision God placed in your heart!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

adoption story - Stacy

adoption story - erin + clayton

adoption story: meredith and chase