Adoption story - Michelle

Michelle is a lovely woman and Christ-follower, and I loved every moment of helping her on her road to parenthood.  We had so many wonderful conversations on her journey to her sweet boy.

I asked her to share some of the key parts of her adoption journey, and she has done so, so beautifully below.  Her son was born near Christmas-time, and has one of the best Christmas inspired names ever -- Gabriel!!!  
I hope this story encourages other waiting families, especially the single mamas out there.  


Michelle shares her story so eloquently below:



“Adoption is something that has been on my heart since I was very small. Even as a child, I knew adoption would be a way that I would someday grow my family. One night when I was in my mid-twenties I remember having dinner with a friend. I told her that if when I turned 30 I was not close to being married or starting a family then I would start the process to adopt. In November 2015 I celebrated my 30th birthday and over Christmas that year I shared with my family and close friends that my adoption journey was beginning.

I found Christian Adoption Consultants by searching adoption hashtags on Instagram. It took me days to work up the nerve to call, and when I did I barely even knew what to say or what questions to ask. Gretchen helped put me at ease and was so warm and caring. She answered all of my questions with so much kindness and patience and was very genuine in her answers. “What is a home study? How open is an open adoption? Can the birthmother chose to take the child back? What if no one chooses me because I am a single mom?”

 I had a laundry list of fears, but I knew this was what I was meant to do.

My home study and profile were both finished by the beginning of September and I was ready to present to birth parent situations. The matching phase - the waiting - was the hardest part for me. I would cry reading birth parent situations, my heart aching for moms and dads who loved their babies but were in desperate situations. I felt lonely and frustrated walking this path alone without a partner. At times I felt like no one understood what I was thinking or feeling, my mix of emotions that would change on a dime, the agony of the "not yet" or "they chose a different family." 

Looking back I know that God used this season of waiting so purposefully. He used it to draw me closer to Him and put my faith in His timing, not mine. He used it to grow my support system. My village. My tribe. The incredible, wonderful, beautiful people that stepped up and filled me with strength and hope and love every day of the wait and every day since then. He used it to guide me towards other adoptive families that I could connect with and lean on and pray with. He used it to strengthen and prepare me for the perfect gift He had waiting for me all along.





My son was born on December 19, 2016, almost a year to the day I told my friends and family I was adopting. 

I am so proud of his story and of his brave and beautiful birth mother. He is the absolute joy of my life and loved beyond measure. I am grateful every day that God chose me to be this sweet boy's mama.

I would encourage any single woman who feels the tug of adoption on her heart to let it guide her to take that leap of faith! 

The concerns and fears are real and not to be ignored, but let your faith be bigger than your fear. Know that He has a perfect plan for your life and your family, and all you need to do is listen to it.



Congratulations, Michelle!!  This little guy could not be more perfect, loved and adored!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

adoption story - Stacy

adoption story - erin + clayton

adoption story: meredith and chase